Welcome to The Courtyards
Fall 2023 Move-In will begin on Tuesday, August 22, 2023 at 12PM.
More information to come via email the first week of August.
General Check-In Procedures
Residents should plan to pack an easily accessible box or bag of items that will need to be accessed immediately. We recommend this include:
- Toilet paper
- Shower Curtain
- Water / snacks
- Change of clothes
- Be sure to have a $0.00 Courtyards account balance. The incoming resident may check their account by signing into the resident portal.
- Remember a photo identification. (University ID preferred)
- Dress appropriately for the weather. The Courtyards is a garden-style community and does not have elevators.
- Consider bringing a hand truck but remember that there are stairs to navigate if not living on the first floor.
- Leave pets at home. Pets are prohibited on The Courtyards property and our furry friends are not very happy left in a vehicle.
Making Your Apartment Home
Many new residents wonder what items are most appropriate to bring with them when they move in to the Courtyards. You may use this as a guide for what items you’ll need as well as what items should be left at home. Be sure to consult with your roommates to avoid unnecessary/duplicate items to save on space and time.
Items To Bring
- Soap, toiletries, towels, washcloths
- Standard full-size sheets, mattress cover and bedding (blanket, bedspread, pillows, pillowcases
- Laptop or personal computer (Windows compatible or Macintosh)
- Lock for laptop
- Category 5, 5e, or 6 Ethernet cable no longer than 14 feet
- Laundry bag, detergent
- Clothes hangers
- Wastepaper basket, plastic liners
- First aid kit
- School/desk supplies
- Backpack for carrying your books
- Desk/floor lamp (no halogen bulbs, no lamps with gooseneck arms and plastic shades)
- CFL or LED bulbs (not regular incandescent) for desk/floor lamp
- Under-the-bed storage boxes (10″ clearance)
- UL/CSA approved power outlet strip equipped with an Integrated Circuit Breaker (over-current shutoff protector)
- Bicycle (must be stored at outdoor racks located on the 1st floor of every building and registered with The Courtyards)
- Blue painter’s tape to hang decorations without damaging the walls
- Flashlight, battery-powered radio, extra batteries
Items To Discuss With Roommates
- Small kitchen appliances: toaster, coffee maker, blender, etc
- It is not recommended to bring pre-owned or hand-me-down appliances, which may lack updated safety features
- Cookware: pots, pans, lids, cookie sheets, and other related items
- Plates, silverware, and cups
- Dish washer detergent, dish washing liquid & sponges / dishcloths
- Toilet tissue, paper towels, tissues
- Iron/ironing board
- Vacuum, mop/broom
- Cleaning supplies (Courtyards encourages environmentally friendly products)
- Garbage Can (Recycling cans are provided)
- Outside balcony / patio furniture
Items You Should Not Bring
- Extension cords of any type
- Boxes, trunks, suitcases, etc., except what fits under your bed (10″ clearance) or in your closet
- Extra seating or other furniture
- Excessive amounts of clothing, books, posters, personal effects, etc.
- Ashtrays (The University of Maryland, including the Courtyards, is a smoke free and vape free campus)
- Cinder blocks
- Halogen bulbs
- Candles (lighted), incense, fireworks, weapons
- Hotplate, any appliance with open or exposed heating element or coil
- Partitions, room dividers, other structures and lofts of any type
- Masking or cellophane tape, nails, other products that damage paint/wall surfaces
- Microwave oven (each apartment is provided with one)
- Private air conditioner (All apartments are equipped with a climate control system)
- Space heater (All apartments are equipped with a climate control system)
- Double-sided tape
Room Condition Report
For the protection of every resident, upon move-in, each resident is strongly encouraged to assess the condition of the bedroom and common areas of the apartment, and then to complete a Room Condition Report (RCR) online, documenting the condition of the space at the time of move-in. This documentation is considered when assessing the condition of the apartment at move out. The Courtyards does not wish to charge residents for damages they did not cause.
Upon move-out, an inspection of each apartment is completed, comparing the condition at move-in with the condition at move-out to determine damage charges. If the resident does not complete and submit an RCR, the room and apartment will be inspected with the assumption that all items and furniture were in satisfactory condition with no damage at move-in.
Residents should log onto the Resident Portal to complete the RCR by Tuesday, August 29th at 12pm. To complete the form:
- Asses the condition of the apartment overall, including. but not limited to, walls, carpet/flooring, furniture, appliances, and bathroom fixtures in your bedroom and common areas.
- Select the appropriate condition box and add descriptions of any damages that exist in the apartment. Be as specific as possible using numbers, dimensions, and descriptions. For example, if the kitchen counter has ‘The Courtyards’ written in the laminate, one would write ‘2 inch The Courtyards written near sink’ in the move-in column in the kitchen section under “counter.
- Submit the completed RCR. It is a good idea to print or email a copy for the resident’s own records.
If there are any questions about how to complete the form, please contact your Resident Assistant or the Courtyards office for assistance.