Lease Transition Requirements
What does “same bed” mean? You don’t have to move-out on Friday, July 28. You also will get to stay during the transition period of Friday, July 28 to Tuesday, August 22.
Lease Transition Requirements Between July 28 at 12pm – Tuesday, August 22
The last day of your 2022-23 lease is on Friday, July 28 by 12pm. If you selected to remain in the same bedroom for the 2023-34 lease year, you are not required to move out of your space.
The Make Ready Team that prepares apartments by August 22 consisting of maintenance, cleaning, and painters, will be accessing apartments between 8am – 8pm between July 28 and August 22. They will not be entering occupied bedroom spaces for the make ready process. There will NOT be a notice of dates/times between July 28–August 22 that maintenance, cleaning, painters, etc will be entering units. All staff will knock on front doors for 20-25 seconds prior to entering.
*Follow us on Instagram @umdcourtyards, where we will utilize Instagram Stories to notify you of approximate days of which buildings we will be entering throughout the lease transition period.
RA’s and Courtyards staff will be entering apartments on Friday, July 28 to complete a move-out inspection. Also, sometime between July 28 and August 6, a highly trained dog that detects pests will enter the apartment to seek out potential pest issues (they are usually in the apartment for 3 – 5 minutes). To assist with detection the staff may remove part of your sheets to get a closer detection of the mattress area.
The lease states that residents may be charged a $450 violation fee if you do not comply with preparing your apartment during the July 28 – August 22 transition period. It is our hope that you work with us in helping create a great first impression for your future roommate(s).
What do I have to do for the transition period of July 28, 2023 – August 22, 2023? The Courtyards Team works diligently to get apartments ready for new students that are moving in on Tuesday, August 22, 2023. To make sure your future roommate(s) has a great experience on August 22, we need you to do the following by July 28 at 12pm at the latest:
• The sink, stove, and counter tops must be free of personal items.
• Refrigerator must be cleaned out and kept clean during the transition period. Items can only be stored on the top shelf in the refrigerator (Items should not be stored on top of the fridge or on the refrigerator door so cleaners can properly clean).
Shared Bathroom - Only for 4 bed - 2 bath in Buildings 4 and 7<br />
• Cabinets and sink vanity must be emptied of all items.
• All bathroom items should be stored in the individual bedroom, except the shower curtains, which may be left on. (If the person you are sharing the bathroom with is a same bed resident you don’t have to do this. If the person you are sharing the bathroom with is moving out on July 28, you do have to
• Furniture items from persons not on the current lease term should not be stored in the apartment. If your roommate moves out on July 28 and leaves items in kitchen/living room behind, we are going to assume they are yours. Please alert us by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, July 31 by 12pm if your roommate left items behind in the kitchen/living room. After this date we consider anything in the apartment to be owned by people staying for the 2023-24 lease period.
Your apartment must remain like this from July 28, 2023 – August 22, 2023 at 5pm. This helps our cleaning team, maintenance team, painters, etc to prepare the apartment so that your future roommate has a welcoming move-in experience. If you plan on being away during the period of July 28 – August 22, you
will need to ensure this is completed before departing.
Other Important Information
• The 2022-23 lease expires on July 28, 2023, and the 2023-24 lease begins on Tuesday, August 22, 2023. As stated in Section 15 of the lease, you are permitted to stay in the apartment during this “lease transition period” by following these guidelines. To prepare units common area to a satisfactory condition for new roommates, it does require many entry points of the Make Ready Team. If this is something that you find bothersome, it may be in your best interest to return at your permanent home.
• After cleaners have entered your apartment between July 28 and August 22 it will be your responsibility to maintain the cleaning so that your future roommate(s) walk into a clean apartment on move-in day. On Sunday, August 20 beginning at 9am, the RA Team will be giving your apartment a final inspection and your apartment must be ready for your new roommate(s) by this date and time. Anything not in compliance (or if the common area is unclean for your new roommate) would be eligible for a $450 violation fee.
• What if everyone in my apartment is returning same bed? If you fall under this category, we will not turning your apartment because all of you are coming back for 2023-24. However, if that were to change and one of your roommates were to transfer their lease, that immediately changes your apartment status, and we would need to turn the common area for a new roommate. If that were to happen, all apartment occupants will have to get their apartment turn ready by July 28 at 12pm.
• You cannot let your new roommate(s) or their belongings move-in early (prior to August 22).
• On August 1 your first installment is due for your new 2023-24 lease. If you have reoccurring payments log into your resident portal and update your payment information. Automatic payments do not carry over between lease years and must be re-established each August.
4 Bed – 2 Bath | $852 per installment | Total Rate $10,224
4 Bed – 4 Bath | $934 per installment | Total Rate $11,208
2 Bed – 2 Bath Standard | $1,038 per installment | Total Rate $12,456
2 Bed – 2 Bath Deluxe | $1,074 per installment | Total Rate $12,888
*This installment is applied towards your 2023-24 lease. You are not paying for July 28th-August 22 because this is the lease transition period. Your new lease begins on August 22, 2023 and concludes on July 27, 2024. The total rate of your apartment type is divided into 12 installments with the first installment being due on August 1, 2023.
*Please remember that if you have set up scheduled payments in the resident portal they do not carry over and will end on July 31, 2023. You will need to log in after August 1, 2023 and set up a new schedule. If you have issues with this, please contact our office directly and we are happy to assist.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact us in the Main Office via email email@example.com or call us at 301 314 2466. We are here to help! Thank you so much for helping to create a welcoming environment for your new roommate!