Leasing from a Current CTY Resident
On occasion students inquire about the difference between “Subletting” and “Re-leasing” their apartment. Hopefully this information will shed light on the difference between the two and why we only do Re-leasing at The Courtyards.
Re-Leasing For The 2017-2018 Lease Year
At this time, the Courtyards has no remaining vacancies available for the 2017-2018 lease year. However, there may still be opportunities to live with us!
Re-Leasing is a process by which an individual who has already signed a lease, who is no longer interested or eligible to live with us, can sign their lease over to another eligible student.
Interested students may visit the online re-leasing board below for assistance in connecting with individuals interested in re-leasing their space.
Current residents who are looking to re-lease their space can submit a re-leasing request through their student MyDrl or our website below.
The next available re-leasing appointment date is Tuesday, September 5, 2017.
Re-Leasing vs. Subletting
Re-Leasing is the official process of transferring financial responsibility of a Courtyards lease from the current lease holder to another eligible student prior to the lease end date of July 30.
When you re-lease an apartment, you are accepting the apartment as it is left by the departing resident. There will be no cleaning or fixing done to the apartment. Cleanings are available by a third party vendor by request and cost $65 to have your bedroom and bathroom cleaned. Financial responsibility begins on the 1st day of the first full month you reside in the apartment.
Subletting is when a person rents an apartment directly from a resident without management’s knowledge or approval. This is strictly prohibited at The Courtyards. According to management and per the lease, the person whose name remains on the lease is financially responsible for the apartment and any damages that might occur. Only the leaseholder will be granted access to resident services.
Finding An Apartment To Re-Lease
The Process Of Re-Leasing
- Find a lease holder who will re-lease their space to you.
- Complete the application through your student MyDRL portal. Once logged in, in the upper right hand corner of the screen under “Housing Form and Related Links” click on “2015-2016 Commons/Courtyards Leasing Application”. (The current resident will also need to submit a re-leasing request. They will need your name, UID# and university email address.)
- Step 3: You will receive a re-leasing request through your student MyDRL which you must accept in order for the request to be sent to resident life for approval.
- Step 4: Once the re-leasing request is approved by resident life, you and your re-lessor will receive an approval email prompting you to schedule a re-leasing appointment.
Schedule A Re-Leasing Appointment
Re-Leasing appointments are available between the 4th and the 20th of each month (except February, March and August when there is a re-leasing freeze). Failure to complete an appointment by the 20th will result in the current lease holder retaining financial responsibility for the following month and delay your move in.
The re-leasing appointment is held by the Leasing Manager at The Courtyards management office. You and the current resident must be present for the re-leasing appointment.
Current resident must bring:
- Their $100 lease transfer fee, paid in certified funds.
- The remaining portion of their financial responsibility through the new lease end date, in certified funds.
New resident must bring:
- $30 application fee. (Check or money order made payable to The Courtyards)
- $300 lease reservation fee. (Check or money order made payable to The Courtyards)
- Social Security Number. While your card is not required, you must be able to provide your SSN.
If you are requesting a room cleaning you must bring your $65 payment in a certified check or money order to your appointment also.
At your appointment you will sign a re-leasing agreement, a lease confirmation and your Courtyards lease. Once you sign your lease you do have 2 business days to cancel. After those 2 business days, your lease may only be canceled by finding an eligible UMD student to take over your lease and completing the re-leasing process. Appointments typically take about a half an hour to complete all necessary paperwork.